Skip to main content

Is success only measured by a woman's corporate achievements? Has a woman failed if she chooses family over her work?

Ambition. Success. These two words, despite their different definitions have assumed a mutually unexclusive meaning. One of these words cannot be said without the other following. From your days as a child, these two words are spoken in your ears and you are constantly reminded to be ambitious as it is the surest bet to becoming successful.
Men are expected to be ambitious and successful as it is part of what defines them. For women, ambition and success are something they are encouraged to fight for- and education is seen as their surest bet to achieving them. Women are told to be ‘twice as better’ to get to where and earn the privileges their male colleagues are handed.
Although, nobody is born with the traits of ambition and success, most are defined by society or the environment; this reminder, or pressure, means that, a woman who has been offered the same privileges as a man, must not disappoint. Her progress is scrutinized by society and her failure criticized –something her male colleagues get away with.


 
Despite the statistics pointing to the fact that, the percentage of women graduating from various tertiary institutions is increasing (43% according to National Council for Tertiary Education, 2014 data), the percentage of women heading big corporate organizations is still low. Those who make it to the top of the corporate leader are rightly celebrated and become a blueprint for other women to aspire to emulate.
However, the questions that have filled my thoughts are these:
a. Is success only measured by a woman’s corporate achievements?
b. Has a woman failed if she chooses family over her work?
Women find themselves in a very dicey situation where they have to balance their quest for professional success with family success. That is, while they seek for success in their field of endeavor, they are also to raise their family in the best way possible. One cannot be sacrificed for another. This situation has led to some women having to make a choice: choosing to forego raising a family and staying fully committed to work or choosing family over corporate success.
Those who have opted for the latter may be regarded as failure since there is ‘nothing substantial’ to measure her success. For example, take a woman who decides to quit her job to become a stay home mum, a fancy word for a housewife, and raise her kids whiles her husband works to feed the family. Twenty or so years on, when her kids are all grown with good careers, would her efforts and sacrifices be considered a success? 
My mum was a stay at home mum and I gleaned from her activities that she wanted a flexible schedule that would allow her to pursue other interests. She did some business from home which brought her money. 
Like my mum, there are women who want an easy schedule that balances well with their ambition to have a good family life. Sometimes, their strenuous corporate schedules make this impossible. Quitting is not an option for many since it smacks of failure so they stay in, work their hearts out, spend every day of the week, and sometimes weekends working.
In an Oct, 2015 article published in the Time Magazine, it was pointed out that most women are ambitious but they can’t ‘commit to a structure that was setup for 50% of the population’ (the 50% refers to men).
The article concluded that many women want careers that fit their lives and not the opposite. A career flexible enough that balances their professional careers and family engagements. It is based on this quest that, some women are being entrepreneurial ditching corporate life and establishing their own business to control their daily schedules.
In our current world where ambition serves as the fuel for success coupled with the out-of-office responsibilities of women, the question worth asking is, how do we measure the success rate of a woman? How does a woman stay ambitious and successful without compromising her family life? And has she failed if she chooses family over work or vice versa?


Article Submitted by Ibrahim (Rahim) Muniru. Find him on Twitter @swayekidd



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th