Skip to main content

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana


Some years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.
 
Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But.

I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my realization that marriage isn’t really (shouldn’t be) 'settling down'. 


 

But in all this irresolution, my dream of getting married or NOT getting married has always been a personal choice. My personal choice. Of when I want to settle. When I want to have kids etc. And nobody bothered me until a few months ago when my grandmother told me it was time for me to get married. 

I couldn’t wipe that look of surprise off my face for some minutes. Yes, I am aware; no, more of heard about how many women are pressurized into getting married for puerile reasons, such as ‘wanting grandchildren, and great grandchildren’. 

My grandmother’s reason was no different from the give-me-a-greatgrandchild-before-I-die-sort-of-demand. 

It was unbelievable, but I wasn’t going to allow anyone to pressure me into making a life-long commitment just because they feared they were going to die. And this was exactly what I told her. “I will marry when I marry and I will have kids if and when I want to. Hoh!”

A friend of mine, who happens to be a guy told me about how his dad who was sick and had been hospitalized was ‘blackmailing’ him into getting married with the whole sickness thing. 

I had a good laugh about it. But still, that could not clear the underlying problem of how young people today are coerced, forced, pressed and bullied into getting married in the Ghanaian society (and anywhere else for that matter).

Our society is one that places respect and worth on a woman’s ability to land herself a ring. So that women who are nearing the bomb age 30, feel like they are about to explode into a million pieces and become the laughing stock not only in society but in their own homes as well. 

In Ghana, marriage is no more a personal decision. It is made for you, directly, indirectly by third parties who want to forestall the disaster of their children being outcast because they are unmarried.

So now marriage isn’t for love. It isn’t even for companionship. It is for a so-called kind of respect. To be counted among ‘women’. It doesn’t even end there. Once a women is married, the grace period given is a year. After that grace year, the family expects to see the baby bump. 

No baby bump? Don’t worry, the woman will be given another grace year, amid murmuring and sighing. If after the second year there’s no sign of pregnancy, this societal respect attained for all the wrong reasons begins to waver. The woman again faces the fear of being ridiculed, called barren or even losing her husband to another woman. All because of what? Some societal bullshit system.

Now there’s also the indirect or subconscious side that is as guilty as the physical. When a girl does something wrong or acts in an improper way, she is reprimanded with, “who is going to marry you?”, “No man will marry a girl who this and that.” All their lives women are raised to believe their final destination as women is marriage. So women feel accomplished, fulfilled, SETTLED once they marry. There is no going beyond that. Once women marry, they have reached. Pitiful.

There is self-worth in being single/unmarried or married. These silly principles of marriage are the strings that are holding women down and preventing them from exploring and reaching their full potential. It is oppression of some form. 

Our society needs to a paradigm shift in its way of thinking. It needs to respect women, not because they have a man by their side. 

This will teach a lot of women that respect is not earned by getting married or by having a man at your side. It is earned because one is worthy of it, whether married or unmarried.

Women, marriage is not the end. Don’t believe anyone who says it is your final destination in this world. There is life, even more, after the ring. Nobody should be pressured to getting married because the problems that arise from such marriages are untold.

Don’t get married because someone is demanding their grandchild. Or because someone feels they are old and will be dying soon. 

Don’t get married because you feel your biological clock is ticking. And certainly do not get married just because everyone is. Do it because you want to, and for all the right reasons. 

And when you do, women, refuse to be bamboozled into having children. You (and your partner) should be in the control seat of your life. Do not allow anyone to cheat or fool you into giving birth. Do it because you want to. Because you are prepared to. 

We can rewrite the laws. Marriage and Child-birth are a personal decision. The more we allow people outside us, and much less people who have no bearing on our lives to influence our decisions, the more we are giving way to be governed by many of these farcical and meaningless societal laws that do very little to protect us, and those to come after us.

-V.

Comments

  1. Well, I must say I am very lucky when it comes to this because my mother's remark to women who ask such questions is just amazing. She tells them "leave my daughter alone. She will marry when she wants to marry". Isn't that how it is supposed to be???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, the support coming from your mother. And yes, people are 'supposed to' marry if and when they want to. Not because someone third party feels they should.

      Delete
  2. Great and insightful piece. It is so true.....sadly. A woman's worth is measured by her married status. And it takes a brave woman to resist that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really unfortunate that a woman's worth should be tied to her marital status, and to attain this societal 'respect', many women have been forced to get married for all the wrong reasons.

      Delete
  3. The funny thing is I was talking about this a couple of days ago.

    Truth is my parents are not the ones pressing me to get married or to have children. My mates are. My sister, my cousins, my friends. "It's time". "It's time for us to...". "It's time for you to...". I always ask the same question: who decided it was or is time, and I always get the same answer: you age did this or that.

    How is that we, young women, came to accept the fact that we should be ashamed of not being married to the point of saying the big YES to a man we barely even know/love and end up miserable? How is it that instead of not wanting our mates to experience the same miserable situation we are those pressing them to do the same? HOW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes. A lot of women now feel somewhat 'ashamed' to be unmarried beyond a certain age, and this is wrong. It is wrong.

      Delete
  4. i get this all the time and i'm not a lady. I was at a recent family gathering and that was all everyone wanted to know. It's very annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *insert angry smiley* So annoying. 'It was all everyone wanted to know'. Hah! Marriage is that big of a deal!

      Delete
  5. Merciii pour cet article qui dépeint la réalité de toute femme en Afrique de façon générale pas seulement au Ghana. Au Burkina Faso c'est pareil et bien dommage;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same in Burkina Faso huh? Guess it's an 'African thing' then. Such a shame.

      Delete
  6. It's just sickening and the sad part is many fall into the trap...I was lucky though, no pressure..... Keep writing dear, enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contacted him and he help me cast a reunion spell that help my situation with 48hours, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any problem at:
    ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th