Skip to main content

Rape Is Not Just Sex. It Is a Crime of Power and You Don’t Tell Victims To ‘Just Get Over It.’


Photo Credit: Vox.com
What most people do not understand is that rape is not something you just ‘get over’. No, it does not work that way. When the choice of consent is snatched from beneath you, it is a violation of not just your body but your mind too. Rape, is like a robbery in which something is taken forcefully from you with every unconsented thrust. Yet unlike robbery where items taken can be replaced, rape takes away parts of you that can never be replaced, only learned to live with.

When a person is raped, it isn’t just the body that has been invaded but also the mind. And this unwarranted invasion can lead to a thrashing of a person’s mental health. Walls get broken and victims without the right help and counselling may never get around to becoming who they used to be. Their present comes to a standstill and the future turns to gloom.

Some dire psychological effects of this violation may even be that victims may be broken to such abysmal levels that they accept and welcome abuse as part of life especially in cases where victims have suffered abuse one too many times. Some unlearn how to live by themselves, seeking approval from others due to low self-esteem. For others, sex in later life becomes an act that needs to be laced with violence before it can be enjoyed.

It therefore becomes very irresponsible when someone makes a comment that suggests that victims of rape just need to get over it. How does one ‘just get over’ something as delicate and damaging as rape? How does one reconstruct barriers that have been torn down in such cruel manner? How does one get past the trauma—both physically and psychologically?

Even in our ‘normal’ lives, each and every one of us is protective of their personal space. Such that any intrusion by another is highly unwelcome. This is even when we still have our freedom to make choices and consent to things, how much more when this freedom is taken away from us and our bodies are subjected to sadistic attack? The physical pain with time may heal and the psychological? It will take more than ‘just getting over’ it to move past the trauma and become one’s old self again.

There is no just getting over rape. Rape is not something you can just put behind you and move on like it never happened—except one is in denial, of course. It is when people make careless remarks like this to victims of abuse that cause them to shy away from seeking help, and in the long run causes them to keep quiet over the issue which does more harm and makes the fight against sexual abuse more challenging.

Rape recovery is possible, but it will take time and a lot of love for not just the physical healing but the psychological too. For many people, the incident of their rape is stuck in their head and the image plays over and over again for days, months or even years. How do you expect such a person to just get over it like there is an on-off switch? 

Rape is not just sex, it is a crime of power and control against a weaker person—more psychological than is made to seem. Don’t tell victims to not talk about it or that they are making up tales just for attention as if they enjoyed being trounced. Don’t say things like “It’s been over a year now, get over it.” Some people never do. For others it’s a daily struggle to create a new life for themselves and learn to love and be safe again.

Comments

  1. I think this is real and brave, and it breeds strength for those of us who believed we'd never regain it.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were hoping to help victims to regain their strength and keep on moving on. We are glad this article has served its purpose. Thank you too for reading and for sharing a piece of you on here.

      Delete
  2. Above article is really helpful for rape victims.If any body want to donate some money for rape victims.
    financially help to rape victims

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th