Skip to main content

When sexual harassment becomes a norm



“Girl I like you” he says; “Sorry not interested” you reply. “But I love you” he insists; “Sorry man. I’m just not interested” you say. “But Baby I…” he tries to go on, but you block him off with “Dude I said NO!”
 
Does this sound familiar to any of you? If yes, then more power to you sista. If no, then I wish I was you because guys like this are some of the most annoying you will ever meet. Kindly pardon my tone. I was not in my ‘happy place’ when writing this and it shows.

Now don’t get me wrong, I sincerely respect the age-old tradition of playing hard to get, but when she looks ready to knock his lights outs and begins to cuss him out then he better back off. 

Now here’s the thing. A lot of the time, it seems like these guys are ‘joking’, I would know; it’s a new game played nearly every day at the office. 

However, when you know the person you’re ‘joking’ with AND he/she gets that kind of ‘thing’ then kudos to the both of you. But when a guy at a college approaches a woman he knows next to nothing about(Me), then dude, no; just NO!

I care less if the guy is ‘joking’. When I made my opinion more than clear (read: cussed him out), he told me that “I’m a young woman, and that I should be used to such attention from men”.

WHAT?

What society would make a woman become used to the idea of men harassing her? Especially when she has not acted or dressed in any way as to show that she would welcome such attention! If that’s the society we live in, then we’re obviously doing something wrong.

As if that was not enough, the next day, in the middle of lectures, he begins to call out ‘sweetie’ to try to get my attention. I’m pretty sure that my earlier reaction made it more than clear that I didn’t appreciate such attention. Is it really so difficult to respect that?

It’s bad enough dealing with vocal harassment, but what of the endless number of girls and women who have to deal with physical harassment (bum slaps, random touching, etc.) and are told that it’s just a ‘joke’ and it’s all in ‘good fun’. 

Case in point, last weekend a friend and I went out for a show and afterwards my friend went aside to say hi to a male friend of hers. They hugged and immediately his hands drifted to her ass. 

His grip was too strong for her to break free and she began to call out for me. In the end, I physically dragged him off her and from the look on his face, he was terrified. 

My friend then told me that this guy had always been ‘touchy’, but she did not make anything out of it until today. She further explained that she always felt like she would be overreacting if she spoke up or pushed him away because most people around her saw it as a 'normal' thing. 

But that’s just one incident, what of the others? Who is there to drag their aggressors away? And what’s to stop these men from taking their ‘jokes’ to the next level; a rather uncomfortable one?


Shared by: 


My name is Asante Prokop Vera. I am a poet and aspiring writer. I post my poetry on Deviantart, Deep Underground Poetry, Facebook and Blogspot. You can also hit me up on Tumblr and Twitter. My online name is Cosmosalone200


Comments

  1. Interesting read. Sexual harassment is something I take seriously. Hard to get is concept that confuses me. First sign of indecisiveness and I'm ending my interest. There are too many confusing things about hard to get

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efo Dela, most men are still living in the time where they still believe everyone is playing "hard to get". Though there are still women who do that, we are in the era where women are bold enough to state what they want without the pretense. So it is about time men forgot about the stereotypes and accept what is infront of them.

      There is a huge difference between playing "hard to get" and "simply not interested".

      Regards,
      Sista

      Delete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th