Skip to main content

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1



I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?
 
Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years.

I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy.

Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time?

Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful this means they will be better again. We took our best selfies ever as besties today. And last night when we took a walk, I told her all about the writing baby steps I'd taken these past few months. 

She is still the only person in my life who I am able to talk to this way; the only person who knows my brokenness and still understands these necessary moments of purging out my testimony and all the lessons learned.

An hour goes by, I am still dripping wet from head to toe. What am I cleansing? I am aware I am wasting water, but something in me needs this. 

I finally step out, I wipe the steam off the mirror. I ask the reflection "Why did you need that?"

The memory is only two days old, and suddenly sneaks up on me while I am drying myself.

"You never finish anything you start". My friend's voice, her words.

I am still looking at the mirror, but I no longer see the reflection because my mind has gone to a conversation I am now remembering clearly between my friend and me. 

This is her response to the exciting news I tell her that “I am waiting on a proposal for a book I have been approached to write”; in the same breath, I add the part about my most favorite author, asking me to write a foreword for his second novel and how he later sent me the manuscript to edit and proofread.

I am unintentionally watching her closely, I can't help myself. I am a writer, I am a creator. Words mean more to me than they should and I just used them to tell my best friend in the whole wide world the biggest news of my life. She does not even look up at me; satisfied that her reminder is sufficient for this moment.

Immediately I am frustrated by this accusation, it feels unfair and at first I refuse to take ownership of it. She falls quiet and so do I. She is absentmindedly back to pressing her phone. She has spoken out her truth without even blinking an eye and sadly she doesn't seem to discern how much it has burdened my soul..

Shared by:

On really great days, all Sinawo Bukani wants to do is read good books, travel Africa and scribble her heart out.


Comments

  1. These past few months I have learned to be constantly conscious of the fact that people deal with their struggles in varying ways, and acknowledging that there actually are people who just want to hurt you, there are also people who didn't mean to hurt you.Understanding this, I then, again consciously, decided on a 'loving-myself'way of dealing with jabs thrown at me, especially from loved ones. There is one member of my family I know can accidently say something hurtful when she is very worried. My closest friend can get a little rude when he is very anxious, etc... For my own sake, I forgive such moments and pray whatever is calling on that attitude gets taken care of. Also, for the person's sake, I tell them...on a good day, what happens when they say A or B, but add that I do not believe they intentionally want to hurt me, so whatever it is, if I could help them deal, I would. As for those who come in deliberately to help...ha, build a tough skin, love them irrespctive. I have learned too just recently, how powerful a weapon, love is.

    Thanks for sharing, Sinawo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have learned too just recently, how powerful a weapon, love is." Very much a sum of everything Amma. You have said it all.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Amma 💝 I love your comment, very true. I think it just hurts more because it is your closest person.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who's super sensitive. Sometimes, I speak my own truth with my "bluntness", as my speech as so frequently been described, and he goes quiet. A lot of the time, I don't know how to fix it, except with an apology and a hug. I know there are people who are more hurt by words than the average person. But my comment is more for those who speak: it is very, very helpful to be in tune to other people's emotions, and to be able to read them. When you're good at reading the countenance of the people closest to you, you'll know when you've made a bad move, when you should promptly shut up, and when you should apologize. Perhaps tuning into others is something we, as conversationalists, must pay more attention to, constantly. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Sinawo :)
    I relate to this post and I have found myself on both ends several times. Of being that friend that says something hurtful to a loved one and to being the one on the receiving end. I agree with Ivana its important that we are aware and alert to our close people's change in mood, feelings and emotions. I almost always know when I have said something hurtful even through IMs, when its my person I can read how they feel through the text and choice of words.
    On the other end, I have tried to be more open and honest to say that am hurt when hurt. It's never the easiest thing, my only issue is I take longer to process hurt feelings and emotions so when I get around to finally want to talk about it its usually days after when the person has forgotten which tends to be a bit awkward but thankful to friends that understand and still hear me out and willing to work things through.
    Thank you for sharing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And surely thanks for reading @Umba

      Delete
    2. Thank you Umba 😊 You've given me quite a whole lot to consider and how to better communicate my hurt.

      Delete
  5. most times i would ignore things people say to me no matter how mean. It gets harder to ignore the closer the person is to me.
    I had to endure some really mean things recently that changed my outlook towards life. I've built some high emotional walls. I don't know if that's a good thing in itself but it's a good defense mechanism so i'm keeping my walls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, keeping the walls up to protect one's self is quite understandable and expected. But for how long can the walls continue to stay up? Aren't you worried that someday when it comes tumbling down it would be too much? Too disastrous? Like a huge eruption?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r