Skip to main content

This Is The Realest Letter Ever Written To Older Sisters


Dear Older Sisters and Friends with children,

Don't get offended when we refuse to babysit your kids because truth be told, we are not obliged to. It is neither our duty nor responsibility. Matter of fact, it is a favour we do you. We want to believe you had this whole parenting thing figured out before you dug into it so it’s quite unfair that you drag us along and expect us to just go with the flow.

We love you, honestly, but we have got our own lives to live—many impromptu dates to go on, a lot of sleeping to do, and basically a lot of yes-I’m-busy-doing-nothing-whatchu-gonna-do-about-that phases to go through, and to think that we ought to put all these very important twenty-something-year time of life on hold just to listen to incessant wailing and play houses? No. We’re sorry, it’s just not how we imagined our future to shape out.

And don’t even get us started on the you’re-also-gonna-have-kids-someday-and-imma-be-there-for-you shid. Hell you might not even be here when it’s our turn and let’s face it, nanny express’ got us. So can you just cut us some slack and not get angry or give us the silent treatment when we put ourselves above your short notice need?

Some of us are not making babies now because we want to figure out this adulthood thingy, build a career, travel the world, make Friday night and weekend arrangements, be out partying all night, and basically get ourselves all ironed out before we drop them babies and accept the new life of sleeplessness, mumbo jumbo language, and making faces. We really don’t have to deal with this right now, but we may, for you, only don’t put it to us that we have to, new mommy because we don’t!

If we are to babysit your little devils we will do so on our own terms, alright? Thank you, you are all so understanding.

With so much love it’s bursting out of our stomachs,
Younger sisters and friends without young’uns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th