Skip to main content

“I have been both a victim of sexual abuse and most recently, rape.” Read Maureen Alikor’s Story and Her Campaign on Demystifying Abuse.



Photo: Maureen Alikor


On the 16th of November 2016, my door was forced open by armed robbers who immediately striped us of all our devices and valuables. Myself and a friend. With a gun to our head, we were commanded to strip. We did.
Yes, we were raped at gun point.

All our pleas fell on deaf ears as they had their way, and left.

Few minutes later, mobile policemen and neighbors began to converge in their neighborly pattern; in twos and threes, with folded arms, solemn looks, bowed heads and pitiful eyes; with much “sorry” and “take heart” to give, and curses intended to follow the rapists/armed robbers. But soon they left in their trickles.

Fast forward to the next morning, neighbors and sympathizers converged yet again, and started dishing out various kinds of words of encouragement and advice on what to do; ranging from taking my pants to prayer altars so as to lay curses on the culprits, to burying the panties thereby burying their destinies. Others said, to do this and do that. And of course, go to the hospital for check up against pregnancy, HIV and infection.

I listened intently, but a part of me desperately wanted to hear them make mention of the emotional and psychological counselling that a rape victim should undergo. But they were most concerned about the shame associated with the rape and with the properties stolen.

I knew better, but I wanted to find out if our society is changing and becoming abreast with the changing times. I was disappointed.

The most disturbing part of the kind of advice coming my way was the part I had heard frequently; which is the part of not talking about it and not letting more third parties hear about it.
Within me, I boiled angrily at the shocking truth of insensitivity and gruesome backwardness that still held our sense of reasoning. We attach so much importance to the vagina, yet make rape and abuse victims shrink in fear and self-loathing just because they were raped.
We make it shameful for victims who in their innocence were forced against their will and consent, while the rapists’ glory in their act when we choose to say nothing. Just because we choose to cajole victims to be quiet and hide, for in our words, they have been raped or sexually abused thus shame should be their cloak and clothes. Meanwhile, the shame ought to belong to the rapists and abusers.
My name is Maureen Alikor. I have been both a victim of sexual abuse and most recently, rape. One of which was by a relative and the latter, an armed robber. On this premise and knowing the importance of speaking out, I am launching a campaign called DEMYSTIFY ABUSE.

It is a neighborhood, school to school, and house to house campaign aimed at helping abuse and rape victims go through the experience knowing that their worth and self-esteem is not tied to their vagina. 

It is also to help rescue those who may have fallen into the pit of self-pity and self-loathing; hating themselves and not seeing anything good and meaningful coming out of their lives. The campaign is aimed at demystifying abuse of every kind, of which rape and every rape-related activity is family to.

-Maureen Alikor

You can find all the details with regards to Maureen Alikor’s campaign and how you can be part of it here.

Note: Maureen Alikor’s submission has been very lightly edited; mainly glaring typos, in an attempt to not stray from her original voice.

Comments

  1. Hmmm!!! The way some treat ladies. Hmmm... I hope this campaign goes down well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Good day Everyone My Name is Sharon Robinson
    From United Kingdom. I wish to share my testimonies with
    the general public about what this man called
    Dr.Ogugu has just done for me,this man has just
    brought back joy to my home and my life in person i
    heard of him before and i was doubting him but when i
    gave him a try regarding my failure to have my own baby
    and getting pregnant for the man i got married to
    Mr Jackson we were together for a long time and we loved
    our self's but when I was unable to give him a child
    for 4 years he left me and told me he can't continue
    anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him
    back until a friend of mine told me about this man and
    she gave me his Contact via
    E-mail: (drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com)
    then you won't believe this when I contacted him, thank
    you once again the great Dr.Ogugu for what you have
    done for me, if you are out there passing through any
    of this problems listed
    below:
    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    (6)[You want to be rich.
    (7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours
    forever.
    (8)If you need financial assistance.
    (9)If you want to stop your Divorce
    10)Help bringing people out of prison
    (11)Marriage Spells
    (12)Miracle Spells
    (13)Beauty Spells
    (14)PROPHECY CHARM
    (15)Attraction Spells
    (16)Evil Eye Spells
    (17)Kissing Spell
    (18)Remove Sickness Spells
    (19)ELECTION WINNING SPELLS
    (20)SUCCESS IN EXAMS SPELLS
    (21Have You Been Scammed And You Want To Recover Your Lost Money Or Properties
    (22) Charm to get who to love you.
    Contact him today on:
    (drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th