Skip to main content

Tackling Gender Inequality: The Importance of Redefining Gender Roles At The Home Level



Image via: www.business-humanrights.org

Gender Inequality is a huge challenge to women, society, and national development today. Although societies have evolved, day in day out, there are manifestations of the gap between men and women.

A study by UN Population Fund (UNFPA) reveals that Gender Inequality remains an insurmountable obstacle for many women’

Gender-based discrimination still thrives because of deep-rooted systems that have become difficult to tackle as they have been long fuelled at the lowest levels; the home, with the unequal treatment given to boys and girl, which has advanced into schools, where girls are not given the same opportunities for development as boys; into workplaces because of huge pay gaps; and at a national level because although progress has been made when it comes to women and the significant role they play, society has still not warmed up to the prospects of having more women in management and leadership positions.

"Tackle Gender Discrimination from the home"


Why are women perceived to have less power than men? We believe again, that this has got a lot to do with our home systems, especially, in African homes.

Girls and boys have been handed distinct roles usually to the detriment of the former. For instance home chores like sweeping, washing, scrubbing and cooking are considered as typically women duties; an obligation they cannot escape and have to learn to accept willingly or the hard way. 

www.un.org

How does this gender-bias affect girls? The effects of this discrimination is not only physical but psychological because many of these girls grow up upholding the belief that ‘they are only good for chores’ and ‘have been made for these chores’, while their male counterparts are given opportunities to get ahead. 

This kind of indoctrination, that girls are made for the home, undeniably makes them feel less powerful. And it is frightening because now, it isn’t only their male counterparts who think of them as less powerful or capable, but they themselves accept the role they are made to play, grow into it, and even start questioning the need for these systems and barriers to be broken.

A lot of this ‘protection’ of a bullshit system by women themselves can be seen on social media platforms especially Twitter where women rally in ‘likes’ and ‘retweets’ after men who tweet things like “A woman is worthless if she can’t cook or clean.”

Perhaps if we tackle this gender issue from where it begins—the home; perhaps if boys are taught in our traditional homes that cooking and cleaning is a human being’s job and not a woman’s; if boys are taught to take responsibility for the washing of their own underpants; if boys are taught that the kitchen is not a birthright of girls but a place to make food to feed one’s self when hungry, they will not only learn for themselves these very important life needs, but they will also be enlightened and educated (because apparently, formal education is not doing much to break these barriers) and gender discrimination wouldn’t be a gab this wide.

In the same way, if girls are taught that cooking, and cleaning is a basic human obligation and not the duty of a woman, if girls are given equal opportunities as boys, then perhaps they will grow up feeling just as equal to their male counterparts. Equal enough to have the same rights. Equal enough to feel just as powerful as men. Equal enough to take leadership positions. Equal enough to accept that they are strong, confident and capable.

If it’s in the home training, then it needs to be tackled at the preschooler level where it is still possible to learn, unlearn and relearn.

~ V

Comments

  1. I don't wholly agree with the article that some specific house chores shouldn't be reserved for women. No matter what we say we can't deny that males and females have different physiques suited for different roles. That's why men and women can't compete against each other in sports for instance. Traditionally chores at home that demand a lot of physical exertion (like gardening,weeding) are reserved for boys whereas chores requiring less physical exertion like cooking and washing are reserved for girls. However the discrimination arises when boys are not given any role to play at home. If the only roles available at home is cooking and washing then definitely boys must share it with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to talk about male chauvinism here. We want women to be treated equally in terms of intelligence or ability and we believe the whole patriarchy thing starts right from home. Anyway, who or what determines which chores should be allocated to girls or boys in the first place? Basing arguments on physical features alone is quite lean.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th