Skip to main content

Why Are Women Blamed For Failed Relationships?


A lot has been said (and written) about how it is always a woman's fault when a 'beautiful' relationship ends. Adding just this short piece won't be the final gavel-dropping exercise to signify an end to this 'discussion'—if I can call it such.

It is really depressing to hear a section of society, sometimes women, leading charges against other women who have ended their marriages or relationships on their own terms.

The questions often asked of the women who end their relationships include the 'why didn't you stay and work it out?' Some of these 'advisors' also question why these women couldn't endure the problems and 'hold it together' but choose the exit route.

www.onesmartsista.com
Marriages or relationships are never a smooth sailing affair. It has its bumps as it has its joys. Sometimes, the challenges are so enormous that one cannot hold it together any longer and the surest way to save one's self is to walk away.

Every individual has just enough that they can hold or tolerate. Once the pressure hit its threshold and the tolerance scale tips over, one has to decide between staying 'till death do us part' (in the case of those married) or behave selfishly and quit.

"From a young age, women (girls to be precise) are often reminded, backed by religious edicts, why they must aspire to get married."



It is easy to understand why a woman would be blamed for ending a relationship on her terms. From a young age, women (girls to be precise) are often reminded, backed by religious edicts, why they must aspire to get married.

Marriages are considered 'a measure of a woman's worth'. In that marriages makes a woman 'complete'. 

She must also be 'submissive' to the 'head of the house'. The call to 'submit' include among others keeping quiet and enduring any nonsense  their husbands throw at them; which may often include verbal and physical abuses, adultery, alcoholism, reneging on his duties. The effects of such 'enduring' could lead to mental and health stresses-including death.

Let it not be lost on us that the role of a wife in raising a family is very much tasking. The household chores, the caring for children coupled with her career is one hell of a job which society expect her to balance excellently. It also demands a lot of sacrifices. And to have her shoulder these pressures along with the constant buffoonery of her husband or boyfriend is indeed too much to ask of women.

The thinking that a woman must, aside all her many roles in a marriage or relationship, be responsible for not only saving it but sustaining the marriage or relationship doesn't only sound regressive and absurd but it is too much burden on the 'weaker vessel'.

I recall a conversation I once had with a lady who was being abused by her boyfriend of four years. Even when she was sick, this guy would not hesitate to beat her up for the slightest provocation. She finally decided to end it when, during an argument, he hit her head against a sink resulting in a cut at the top of her eyebrow. I applauded her for exhibiting such bravery. Yet, I kept asking how many women I her situation could take the same action as her.

Yes, women do wear 'The Big S' (Superwoman) crest boldly in many instances. But as humans, there is just enough they can endure. And when they reach that point, they must make a decision- to stay in the dark and be miserable or walk away into the sunlight. 

So the next time you criticize a woman for not working hard at saving her relationship, remember that the decision wasn’t made without thorough consideration. And there is the issue of choice too. Yes, these women have a choice.

Written by: Ibrahim (Rahim) Muniru. Follow him on Twitter via @swayekidd

Comments

  1. Thanks for speaking up and writing this. That is bold. Those who don't understand our silence will never understand our words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th