Skip to main content

To Women In All Kinds of Abusive Relationships: You Can Walk







You get up, blood in face, a loose tooth, bruises on your wrists, with half-closed eyes, you stare and just before you can utter any word, he hits you again. You are left on the floor writhing in pain and when you finally get the strength to drag yourself up, you walk up to him and say “I am sorry” to which he replies “You know I love you, you should stop making me do this to you”.


 

For the umpteenth time, he gropes you, he giggles as he walks away; you were told about his penchants when you first signed up to work- you saw it happen to others but you never spoke up. It’s been three years and this has continued every single day; you look at your attire and mumble to yourself “it is certainly my blouse; it has cupped my breasts too firmly and my breasts are getting too big”.

He calls you all sorts of unprintable names all the time “whore, slut, loser.” He tells you no one will ever love you the way he does. You saw your dad do same to your mum and when she finally opted out, she became a “sorry wrecked mess”. You peer at the mirror and whisper to your soul “Indeed I am not beautiful. Look at my thin neck. I have no education. I am worth nothing”.

He bites your nipples really hard when he is intimate with you. He penetrates you roughly and hard. He asks you to call him names that show he is the “dominant one.” At points when you tell him to stop, that he is being too ruthless, he continues pounding even harder. You show him your Bartholin cysts and the bite-marks for the thousandth time and like he has always done, he increases the intensity at the next ‘sex-session’. “Certainly, that’s his way of showing he loves me and my body—at least he still finds me attractive” You say to yourself.

He denies you sex as his way of proving you need him. He makes you beg for it. This happens not once but every time you both have a misunderstanding. You convince yourself “That’s his way of keeping the flames burning.”

Are you in an abusive relationship? Probably. They are like narcotics, diverse, sadistically indulging and give the illusion that they are difficult to get away from.
You have the power but you let the power crush you by blaming yourself. 

Truth is, you can easily walk away (A classic example being Barbara Keane) and that is what you should do. Opting to stay is choosing to die. And oh, before you walk away, look up to your fears and tell them "I am a goddess, nothing conquers me". Peace.

The author of this post wishes to remain anonymous



Comments

  1. This is heartbreaking. I am short of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It is heartbreaking what some women have to go through. Even worse how the fear of leaving an abusive relationship cripples them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Say something about this post

Popular posts from this blog

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th