Skip to main content

This is not a religious banter: Obinim has to go to jail for his horrendous acts



If you live in Ghana, then the name Obinim is not new to you. In fact, you may even be one of the millions who are tired and sick of the sacrilegious gimmicks of this self-acclaimed Man of God with special ‘divinity’ to turn into a lion, a dog, a snake, as a matter of fact any animal he wishes to; so he says in the video below.



Obinim has been trending, and for all the wrong reasons. The stepping-on-the-bellies-of-pregnant-women pastor all in the name of deliverance, who threatens to appear to his critics in dreams to punish them, has no regret whatsoever for his gruesome deeds.


 



Obinim has some audacity. Or shall we say grace to be doing the kind of things he’s doing and getting away with them. But it isn’t what he does that is most confounding. It is his followers—women, and the men who throng to his church without grilling the thoughts and actions of this so-called Man of God. 

Like we said, this is not a religious banter so we will spare ourselves the dire need to revisit The Holy Book and read for ourselves if the actions of this ‘prophet’ are scriptural.

Obinim has become an elephant in the room. No one person has denied the fact that this man needs to be called to book for his atrocious acts, and yet nothing or very little has been done about him.

A new video of him is trending on Facebook. This video, taken during a service shows Obinim flogging two young adults, a lady and a man for allegedly engaging in sexual acts.(?)

Why this man is still walking free in this country is unfathomable. For the purposes of this blog, we want to focus on the flogging of the woman, and all the other things Obinim has done to women in the name of God. 

Does the flogging of this woman not count as abuse? Violence against women? Even mob justice? Because a whole congregation sat unflinched as this lady was whipped for what? Fornicating? Even when the lady being flogged ran to Obinim’s wife for mercy and for her to intervene, the manner in which he shouted at his wife to move over was appalling. Clearly this Obinim man has no respect for women. None. Zero.

Was is not this same Obinim who allegedly slept with another pastor’s wife? But that is not even our concern right now. Our concern is why this man is walking free.

What will it take to put this misfit behind bars? Are we waiting for him to commit murder (if he hasn’t already given his horrible acts) before we arrest and put him where he belongs? Along with all his cohorts?

Are we not taking things too lightly in this country? Or is this what our freedom of speech, association et al has become? Can we not have some justice? Are there no laws to put this man in his place? Are there no laws?!

We think it's about time to seriously address 'this figure of God' and how he has gotten away with abuse all in the name religion.

Photo: GhanaWeb

Watch the video below and tell us what you think.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th