Skip to main content

Years of living with depression, inferiority complex and finding strength



My Thoughts on Depression

There are various reasons why it happens and the intensities also vary quite a lot. As a matter of course, it happens, usually, slightly different from one person to another and so it's not easy to be around a person if you are not the victim; the victim is almost always with it.

It can be very burdensome to hear one go on and on about one's depressive state. And while some are so deep into it, and have gravely been affected by it and may be so comfortable in such a state, others have found strength in several ways of managing or dealing with it.

Depression is a place - a mental space - you sometimes suddenly find yourself there and aren't able to do anything about it. Until that place dissolves or you aren't in it anymore somehow.


2. My Experience with Depression

I've been depressed for quite a long time now, since 2004. And for several years I had no idea what was wrong with me. It was about 7 years later that I knew what it was. It was quite a relief but that didn't make it go away.

To me depression has been that one thought about how one negatively feels about something; when it takes over one's concentration and sets it into a seemingly unbreakable loop. 

My experience with depression has mainly been about how badly I've felt about my self - my sense of worth. As a matter of fact, the schooling system did play a major role, among other things, in creating and worsening the depression; my sense of self-worth being greatly based on the grading system, and how my weaknesses in some subjects (Mathematics especially!) were magnified in spite of how good I was at other subjects.

It usually affected my behavior and attitude towards various aspects of life. It has interfered with the progress of my life greatly. Even with serious things like completing an undergraduate certificate program or just not being in the mood to finish an important piece of work.

3. My Thoughts on the Solution for Depression.

While it is true that depression is so hard to deal with I don't think it is impossible to overcome it. I've learnt to empathize with quite a number of people who I know were suffering with depression. Because the depressive state is not a nice place to be with time I began to think of solutions to the constant state helplessness.

There are several solutions; I haven't taken medications for it or visited any mental health professional yet. I believe that apart from the chemical imbalances in one's body which can be corrected with medication there are alternative solutions to depression.

They include identifying external triggers to depression. Nurturing people to really value who they are and to recognize their abilities and appreciate those abilities is one way to go. You'd be surprised at how effective it works if genuine concern is shown.  

For me I've learnt to deal with depression by not thinking about a lot of things. I have consonantly observed the pattern of thoughts that lead to depression and triumphed over it before takes me hostage. This is a constant battle I aim to win each time.

-O'Zionn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th