Skip to main content

Expert Interview: Depression Myths, Causes and Solution in #SCDepressionChat



It’s been an eye-opener! Two months of discussing depression on Sista Clinik; can you believe it? How time flies!

Over the period, we have had quite a number of people share their experiences and opinions about the condition, and the destructive leniency with which many of us treat it.

All too soon, we are bringing the curtains down on this series, but we simply cannot do that without speaking to a professional about the condition.

We had an interview with Mr. Derek Oppong who is a Lecturer / Entrepreneur and Clinical Psychologist, and took the opportunity to ask him a few questions about depression.


 



INTERVIEW

SC: From a medical and professional perspective, what is depression?

DO: Clinically, for an individual to be classified as depressed, there are certain symptoms which they must manifest over a period of 3 weeks to 3 months. These include insomnia, anergia, loss of joy, loss of concentration and sadness.



SC: Who is likely to suffer from depression?

DO: Depression is the most common form of mental illness and everybody experiences pangs of depressions. However women are more likely to experience depression than men.

SC: Is it normal for one to be depressed?

DO: Yes. But the important thing is that the depression should not attain clinical levels.

SC: Are there medical causes or physical causes of depression?

DO: Yes there are. First of all, depression sometimes runs in families. That is, it is genetic. Depression can also come about due to an imbalance of neurotransmitters or chemical messengers in the body or as a result of certain medical conditions. Example some women get depressed as a result of pregnancy.

SC: Can depression be treated?

DO: Yes. Research shows that depression is best treated by therapy and medication.
SC: How serious is the condition?

DO: It depends on the extent to which the situation is allowed to escalate. Some depressed people may become suicidal or even psychotic. 


SC: Is depression hereditary?

DO: In some cases, yes.

SC: Can the roots of one’s depression be traced as far back into childhood or teen age years?

DO: Yes. But then again in psychological assessment, no 2 cases are exactly alike and depending psychologist’s orientation they may choose to focus on childhood roots or present manifestations.

SC: There is the perception that depression is an old people disease. How true is this?

DO: It is very untrue. We know that children younger than 6 years can suffer from depression.

SC: There’s also the perception that depression does not/cannot affect black people because black people are very strong. What do you think is the basis of this view point, and how true is it?

DO: It is also very untrue and such an assumption is perhaps formed by media and racial stereotypes.

SC: Some people experiencing depression are told to ‘snap out of it’. How easy is it for someone who is depressed to just snap out of it?

DO: Very difficult. It is difficult to ‘snap out of’, especially clinical depression without help.

SC: Do people suffering from the condition require some special care from family and friends?

DO: Yes. First of all they should be active members in the therapeutic process if possible. They must continue to provide support and keep the person active and engaged.

SC: At what point should someone experiencing some forms of depression seek medical help?

DO: If it lasts longer than 3 weeks and they are unable to go their normal daily business then they should seek help.

SC: How is depression treated at the medical level?

DO: It depends on the doctor and his diagnosis. Generally speaking most medication for depression is broadly categorized into 2 types: SSRI’s and MAOI’s.

SC: During or after treatment can depression recur? And what are some of the things that will cause it to recur?

DO: If previous triggers have not been identified and taken care of during treatment, depression may reoccur.

SC: On the average how many people report issues of mental health or agree to see a psychologist? And do these include young people?

DO: In Ghana psychology has still not penetrated the general population as well as it should.

SC: Do you think as a country, or people, we are doing enough to help people with issues of mental health considering how stigmatized they are?

DO: No, we haven’t even started to scratch the surface. Ex-convicts, kids in borstal homes, schizophrenics, virtually everyone should have a phycologists to help them through issues in a none-judgmental way.

SC: What do you think are some of the things we can do to help people who are living with any sort of mental health condition?

DO: As a short term measure, empower the community.

SC: What advice can you give to people who are experiencing depression in one form or the other?

DO: Talk to someone willing and get help. You need not be alone.
  
Conclusion:

Depression is and continues to be a major threat to many people, young people, especially, around the globe. #SCDepressionChat was our small way of creating awareness on the condition and bringing to light its weightiness.

We would like to thank everyone who joined in this series and put their voice out there to spread the word. As Mr. Derek Oppong said, one way we can help people living with depression is to EMPOWER the community

Let's give our support to all without judgment, or prejudice. Let's come together to debunk the myths of depression and face the actual reality that depression is real, and no one is immune to it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why must this be the first sentence uttered by men when you get pregnant?

“A woman can endure all; every pain, every hurt, every bruise, but not one that she causes herself.”   I have decided to share this not because I want to tell my story, but because I want to heal even though that seems like too much to ask right now. I am not in the position to make demands. It is my only hope that someday, maybe, I will be able to forgive myself and move past this. A woman never understands motherhood until she becomes one , or shall I rephrase; a woman never understands motherhood until she experiences what it takes and means to be a mother. It isn’t just about bringing a child into this world; it is about bringing yourself into this world. You are tied by the breath of life to the child you bring forth.  The joys of a mother are that; like the cactus plant she has faced death and triumphed with life and for as long as she lives she will never experience anything as encouraging and comforting as her child’s first clutch of her thumb. It is not o

Women, Marriage, Child Birth and The Blackmailing Older Generation in Ghana

S ome years back, in my late teens, I always told myself I’d get married before I was 23. The thought of being able to enjoy life with my companion in holy matrimony without being pressed (physically, psychologically, or biologically) for children was ideal. I wanted to travel the world. Know people. See places. For my partner and I to get our act together before creating and bringing life into this world.   Maybe the motivation came from knowing my parents discovered each other and started life together quite early. My mother had me when she was barely 21. Three kids down the line, my dad is now in his late 40s, with my mom, a little behind. Definitely, the ‘young old couple’ thingy is attractive. But. I’m currently in my mid-20s. And unmarried. So many things replaced the desire for me to tie the knot before 23. I realized, somehow, that there was no rush. My priorities had shifted. There was education, a lot of growing up to do, and basically life! And there was also my r

When The Past Comes Looking For Me: Part 1

I walk into the shower of the hotel with Adele's new album playing in the background. The water is comforting, but why am I here when I'd just stood under another shower nozzle at my friend's house 3 hours ago? What is it that needs to be scrubbed off this time around? What dirt could I have possibly accumulated in such a short space of time?   Maybe it is the hopeless cries of heartbreak I have had to endure over the past three days. This was my duty as the best friend; to comfort and bring solace to my grieving friend for her ended relationship of almost 3 years. I had never seen my friend like that, and I was there when she buried her father. My awkward self involuntarily went into shut down mode, clueless on how to help steer her back to being the jovial friend I enjoy. Was it the messy room, the unwashed dishes or the unmade bed I slept on all day? Where do I need the water to reach this time? Her boyfriend finally called and I am hopeful th